Visa Garage, Design Director
Visa, San Francisco CA, US
Everywhere you want to be
We are the Visa Garage. We are building the next multibillion dollar businesses at Visa
The Visa Garage is a unique entity at Visa, responsible for the exploration, incubation and launch of new business ventures. We operate independently to rapidly build, test, iterate, and scale ventures quickly. We are a team of entrepreneurs, designers, engineers, product developers and creators looking to build ambitious new ventures.
The team is looking for a highly motivated individual who would like to have a large impact within a disruptive company. This role will support the ongoing incubation of multiple new business ventures within the Visa Garage including, uncovering intangible attitudes, behaviors, and motivations that drive people’s choices and desires, to developing impactful venture/business opportunities and platforms through empathetic design thinking. You will leverage knowledge of Product, Brand & Service design to ensure that these ventures are produced to their strategic intent. You will work collaboratively with lean teams composed of Entrepreneurs in Residence, Product Managers, and full-stack developers in an entrepreneurial environment. As a Design Director in the Visa Garage, you will develop the brand and product design for a variety of ventures in conjunction with a design team. This position is best suited for a flexible, action-oriented person who is self-driven and thrives in ambiguous settings.
The Visa Garage is a start-up within Visa and a fast-paced team that requires leaders that can inspire, coach others as well as be hands-on doers. You will be part of a highly collaborative environment under a unified mission. You will be an inspiring person and part of a fellowship. We will be ramping up quickly so if you want to be on the ground floor in building something incredible, this opportunity is for you.
You will be responsible for -
Ideation of Concepts
- Lead concept sessions leveraging ethnographic research and design thinking
- Lead the planning, facilitation and production of deliverables from design thinking workshops
- Contribute to the development of new unique ideas within multidisciplinary workshops, meetings and immersion sessions and bring them to life through visual communication and strong written narratives leveraging your immersive, story-telling skills
- Use divergent design thinking techniques for the conceptual development of products, services and/or physical connected form-factors helping to craft a seamless story arch
- Converge innovative ideas to a set of digital and tangible products, services and/or physical connected form-factors in partnership with venture architects, product managers and engineering teams
Collaborative Design and Prototyping
- Lead the development of illustrative business concepts, personas, user journeys, storyboards, system maps, user flows, wireframes, visual design comps, and prototypes for a variety of ventures, via Figma, Adobe CS, InVision, and other tools
- Produce the brand design language, design system, guidelines, online advertising, and websites for a variety of in-flight ventures
- Partner with engineering and product team members to ensure designs and customer experiences are implemented with excellence
Communication and Reporting
- Support the development of go-to-market strategies with peers, partners, and stakeholders
- Develop and communicate design ideas using techniques, including product concepts, service models, customer journeys, industrial designs, system maps and/or infographics for a variety of ventures, in parallel
- Monitor and report of design OKRs and KPIs
Build a Strong Team Culture
- Identify, develop, lead and inspire teams of innovative, intellectually curious and engaged individuals focused on building and growing new ventures
- Demonstrate strong leadership and people management skills, with a focus on developing diverse, high performing teams and fostering an inclusive culture that is inquisitive and collaborative
- Create a team culture that amplifies the Visa Garage’s mandate, champions innovation and embraces startup mentality
- Partner with Visa Garage’s Customer Strategy and Insights Director to develop hypotheses and the respective design research plans that help strategically frame, validate the hypothesis or challenge other forms of research
- Lead the design development of research plans that bring the product or service concept to life through design of prototypes, personas, customer journeys, stories, and scenarios.
Flex Work Arrangement - Hybrid Position - This is a hybrid position. Hybrid employees can alternate time between both remote and office. Employees in hybrid roles are expected to work from the office two days a week, Tuesdays and Wednesdays with a general guidepost of being in the office 50% of the time based on business needs.
• 10+ years of work experience with a bachelor’s degree or more than 8 years of work experience
with an Advanced Degree (e.g., Masters, MBA, JD, MD)
• 12 or more years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or 8-10 years of experience with an
Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or 6+ years of work experience with a PhD
• Experience with digital product design, research, conceptual development, and demonstrated craft
of design (industrial / graphic / behavior / HCI, etc.) Examples -
• Expertise designing, iterating and delivering web and mobile products
• Expertise in visual design, brand management, and prototyping tools such as Figma, Adobe CS, and
• Strong ability to convey concepts through storyboards, user flows, user journeys, wireframes,
• Ability to communicate the process, approach, and impact of your design in verbal and visual
presentation and an excellent storyteller
• Experience leading multi-disciplinary teams
• Excellent leadership skills with a team-oriented and collaborative approach to work
• Experience working in a corporate setting or for an agency driving digital transformation work
• Experience developing and delivering new products and services
• Design Portfolio of diverse range of projects and work demonstrating -
• Human centered design capabilities
• Design Thinking approach to problem solving
• Prototyping and testing skills
• Future visioning and strategy development
• Behavior design methodologies, marketing content strategy and/or operations process design
• Shares a sense of advocacy toward common goals, and able to engage in healthy debate
• Enthusiastic work ethic, passion for learning, and acute professional curiosity, able to solve
problems with balance of independence and well-solicited input
• Ability to absorb and process large amounts of information and synthesize into key insights
• Demonstrable ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, is able to ruthlessly prioritize and
identify the most important item to focus on
• High aptitude to learn quickly, assimilate to new teams and projects, and work well under pressure
with appropriate attention to detail
• Organized and comfortable creating and executing workplans
• Strong EQ and presence, and ability to collaborate cross-functionally with people from various
teams and various backgrounds
• Must be self-motivated, have a bias-to-action, and be comfortable with ambiguity
• Ability to inspire and influence those around you, even without direct management responsibility,
proven success influencing senior stakeholders, and decision makers
• Intellectual curiosity a must, payments or technology industry knowledge and cross-border
transaction experience a significant plus
• Passionate about what you do and fired up about the opportunity to launch and scale new
• SWAN - Smart, Works Hard, Ambitious and Nice!
Visa has adopted a COVID-19 vaccination policy to safeguard the health and well-being of our employees and visitors. As a condition of employment, all employees based in the U.S. are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law.
Work Hours: Varies upon the needs of the department.
Travel Requirements: This position requires travel 5-10% of the time.
Mental/Physical Requirements: This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers.
Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable local law, including the requirements of Article 49 of the San Francisco Police Code.
Visa Inc. (NYSE: V) is the world’s leader in digital payments. Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s relentless focus on innovation is a catalyst for the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and a driving force behind the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.