Vice President, North America Tax Operations
Visa, Foster City CA, US
Everywhere you want to be
The Vice President, North America Tax Operations is the lead tax professional for Visa’s US and Canadian tax operations and serves as a member of the Global Tax Leadership team. The role is responsible for oversite of the global tax provision (including international components of the provision and compliance), US federal and state tax compliance and tax controversy. Leading and developing a highly skilled team of direct tax specialists based in the US and Canada. The role is based in Foster City, CA.
Visa’s Global Tax department comprises a diverse group of over 60 professionals located throughout Visa’s global offices spanning: Foster City, California, London, Miami, Dubai, Singapore, Toronto, and Mumbai. The Global Tax department manages both direct and indirect tax strategy, tax planning and structuring, transfer pricing, controversy, tax policy, and compliance as a US multinational organization.
The Vice President, North America Tax Operations is a senior leadership role within the Visa Global finance function and will partner closely with the finance leadership team and other global leaders at Visa. These will include Controllership, Treasury, Business Development, Legal, Corporate Development/ M&A, Financial Planning & Analysis and People teams. The role will report to the Senior Vice President, Head of Global Tax, Visa Inc.
- Oversee quarterly income tax provisions and long- term forecasts in accordance with GAAP for all reporting entities /consolidated group.
- Support financial statement audit process.
- Assess income tax accounting implications of transactions, restructurings, and other changes in business profile.
- Manage operational tax integration.
- Drive quarterly management reporting and preparation/ presentation of executive deliverables.
- Responsible for review of consolidated federal, state, income tax returns. Determine required disclosure for statutory compliance.
- Manage the activities required for the timely and accurate filing of all federal income tax returns/ extensions/estimates, amended returns as needed.
- Oversee the US Federal and State Tax Controversy team.
- Monitor legislative changes.
- Tax research and documentation. Management of UTPs, attributes.
- Work across businesses and functions to ensure proper collection of tax sensitive data.
Oversee SOX documentation process.
- Mentor and develop staff
- Special Projects as required.
- Develop and maintain excellent relationships with world-class tax advisors ensuring that Visa has unparalleled access to top quality external advisers to support the business on strategic tax activities.
- Oversee outsourced global tax compliance activities.
- Maintain an effective and open line of communication with the Global Tax team regarding key decision points, issues, opportunities, risks, transactions and controversies.
• 12 years of work experience with a bachelor’s degree or at least 10 years of experience with an Advanced degree (e.g., Masters/MBA/JD/MD) or at least 8 years of work experience with a PhD
• Extensive experience, ideally at least 15 years, of progressive responsibility and leadership in a multi-national tax environment.
• Experience in a leadership position within a ‘Big 4’ public accounting firm, law firm or tax department of a Fortune 500 global, or equivalent, organization would be desirable.
• Experience building, leading, and developing high performing, diverse and multi-cultural teams. Ability to work collaboratively with executives from Visa and Visa’s clients / partners to leverage and support the company’s global assets.
• Robust decision-making and analytical skills. Strong command of financial, market and consumer data with the ability to grasp complex and detailed issues. Financially literate with an excellent understanding of risk management and advanced quantitative analysis skills.
• Demonstrated success developing tax strategy and leading it through to execution and delivery. Consistent record of having met challenging financial and business targets.
• A strong track record in tax planning, controversy and compliance for direct tax, indirect tax and transfer pricing.
• Demonstrable experience in technical tax research and analysis with excellent project management experience, including M&A tax planning.
• An appreciation and resonance around political, governmental and regulatory environments across Europe with the credibility and respect to interface with domestic and European regulators would be desirable.
• Commercially astute with experience of working in a global matrix organization. Comfortable navigating complex structures and empowering decision-making locally.
• Experience of leading change programs within a business and has led a team on a journey of cultural and transformational change.
• Experience of working in a multi-national, multi-cultural, diverse and highly matrixed organization with the ability to make an impact and gain immediate respect and credibility.
• Tremendous oral and written communication skills, able to craft compelling communications in short time frames, sharing a clear vision of the business, communicating effectively and frequently throughout the company.
• Proven success managing external advisors and key relationships, developing new opportunities with trusted partners in the market.
• Highly effective at managing complex tax disputes with the ability to quickly assimilate the market in which Visa operates, acting as a thought leader, both internally and externally.
• The ideal candidate will likely hold a CPA, or equivalent certification, and/or degree in law.
This is a hybrid position. Hybrid employees can alternate time between both remote and office. Employees in hybrid roles are expected to work from the office two days a week, Tuesdays and Wednesdays with a general guidepost of being in the office 50% of the time based on business needs.
Visa has adopted a COVID-19 vaccination policy to safeguard the health and well-being of our employees and visitors. As a condition of employment, all employees based in the U.S. are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law.
Work Hours: Varies upon the needs of the department.
Travel Requirements: This position requires travel 5-10% of the time.
Mental/Physical Requirements: This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers.
Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable local law, including the requirements of Article 49 of the San Francisco Police Code.
Visa Inc. (NYSE: V) is the world’s leader in digital payments. Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s relentless focus on innovation is a catalyst for the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and a driving force behind the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
Want to learn more about Visa? Visit Visa's website.
Finance Jobs For You
OFFICE ASSISTANT (VETERANS AFFAIRS WORK-STUDY FUNDED ONLY)
University of Michigan, Flint Michigan, US
Wealth Management Team - Service Specialist - Greater San Fran...
Fidelity Investments, Los Angeles California, US