Handshake, San Francisco, CA or Remote
Handshake is helping to democratize opportunity
We are thrilled to announce Handshake’s $200M Series F funding round. At Handshake, we believe that a career opportunity shouldn’t be determined by who you know or what you’ve done. It’s about what you can - and will - do. Your future, not your past. Our Series F fundraise and new valuation of $3.5B will fuel our next phase of growth and propel our mission to help more people start, restart, and jumpstart their careers.
Handshake is the #1 place to launch a career with no connections, experience, or luck required. Handshake’s community includes 20 million students and young alumni around the world from 1,400 educational institutions, including four-year colleges, community colleges, boot camps, and 290+ minority-serving institutions. The platform connects up-and-coming talent with 650,000+ employers - from Fortune 500 companies like Google, Nike, and Target to thousands of public school districts, healthcare systems, nonprofits, and even sports teams like the LA Dodgers. Handshake is headquartered in San Francisco with offices in Denver, New York, and London and teammates working globally.
Everyone is welcome at Handshake. We know diverse teams build better products and we are committed to creating an inclusive culture built on a foundation of respect for all individuals. We strongly encourage candidates from non-traditional backgrounds, historically marginalized or underrepresented groups to apply.
If you are not sure that you’re 100% qualified, but up for the challenge – we want you to apply. We believe skills are transferable and passion for our mission goes a long way.
We are looking for an empathetic, driven and mission-aligned recruiter to help us grow our team. We are seeking an individual who cares about people and enjoys identifying, connecting with and hiring candidates from diverse backgrounds.
You will lead recruiting strategies, build key stakeholder relationships, and develop strategic candidate outreach while working with a curious, kind and passionate team.
- Identify, source and engage talent to grow our team through creative and diverse multi-channel methods
- Ideate, implement and iterate recruiting and talent best practices across the organization
- Own hiring manager relationships and creatively iterate to improve our processes across recruiting
- Hire values-aligned individuals to contribute to Handshake’s mission
- Develop an extensive understanding of Handshake’s business and culture
- Design, implement and execute recruiting plans, partnering closely with hiring teams
- Regularly manage pipeline activity and provide recommendations for improving talent strategies based on data
- Work consultatively with senior stakeholders to shape and implement diversity recruitment strategy in a fast-paced, high-touch & high-tech environment.
- Influence business leaders and educate hiring managers on process, interview best practices, and decision making.
- Create new ways to surprise and delight candidates as they go through our interview process.
- Speak passionately and authentically about Handshake, our mission, business, and culture.
- Full-cycle recruiting experience
- Successful at engaging and closing candidates
- Strong history of collaborating inclusively with hiring managers and interviewers to design processes that attract candidates from underrepresented backgrounds
- You thrive in a data-driven recruiting process
- Working knowledge of ATS systems and pipeline metrics
- In-house experience preferred
- Bias towards humility, curiosity, and humor
- Outstanding organizational and follow-up skills, strong time-management abilities
- Great judgment and a history of working with highly confidential information
At Handshake, we'll give you the tools to feel healthy, happy and secure.
Benefits below apply to employees in full-time positions.
Stock: Ownership in a fast-growing company.
401k: We care about your ability to save for your future.
Hub-based Remote Work: Handshakers can enjoy the flexibility of remote work, whilst ensuring collaboration and team experiences in a shared space remains possible.
Time Off: Flexible vacation policy to encourage people to get out and see the world.
Healthcare: World-class medical, dental, and vision policies including LGTBQ+ Coverage.
Family Focus: Parental leave and flexibility for families.
Mental Health Assistance: You’ve got a lot on your mind, which can lead to less attention on your mental health. We’re here to help and support you every step of the way.
Financial Management with Origin: We provide you with a professional financial planner via so that you can gain a better understanding of making the most of your compensation, equity, benefits, 401k and perks.
Goodies: Whatever hardware and software you need to get the job done.
Team Fun: Regularly scheduled virtual events, happy hours, and book clubs! Once it’s safe, we’ll provide meaningful connection points throughout the year for Handshakers to build community and meet teammates in-person.
Learning: Learning & Development opportunities and an annual $2,000 stipend for you to grow your skills and career.
Great team: Working with fun, hardworking, nice people who are committed to making a difference!
...And much more! Explore our comprehensive benefits at joinhandshake.com/careers.
Interested in what Handshake’s San Francisco HQ is like when we’re together? Check out this video:
Just browsing or not ready to apply? Keep in touch with us!
How we got started Handshake was started in 2014 by Garrett Lord, Scott Ringwelski and Ben Christensen - three students from Michigan Tech, an engineering school in the far reaches of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Surrounded by more than 200 inches of annual snowfall and an eight-hour drive from Chicago or Detroit, Michigan Tech doesn’t see many recruiters from outside of the Midwest. Garrett was particularly frustrated about the difficulty Michigan Tech engineering students faced in getting in the door at top tech companies. So after hustling nonstop to get a Silicon Valley internship of his own, he took matters into his own hands and started brokering intros for his classmates to Bay Area companies. He earned $60k in referral bonuses in less than a year, and paid his way through college. Encouraged by the impact one person could make at one campus, Garrett, Scott, and Ben bought an old car and drove to college campuses across the country. They learned that students, employers and career centers were all frustrated by the current process, particularly how student access to opportunities was so unequal. So they formed Handshake to transform university recruiting for the 20 million higher education students across the country and ensure that every student would have the same access to every job, no matter where they go to school. Today, Handshake is a fast-growing team of 80 based in San Francisco. We partner with 400+ universities, uniting them into one powerful network, which makes it easy for 200,000 companies to recruit efficiently beyond their traditional “core” schools, increasing the breadth and scope of opportunities for our 8,000,000 students, and giving our partner universities the data and tools they need to help their students build meaningful careers.